Spork Rating: 4
- Neighborhood: Kenmore Square
- Cuisine: American (with a European twist)
- Price: Splurge. Dinner appetizers $8-14, entrees $18-34.
- Hours: Open daily from 7am-2am, serving breakfast/brunch, lunch and dinner.
- Reservations: Yes. Via phone or OpenTable.
- Recommended For Dining With: Infants, toddlers, kids
Eastern Standard is evidence of Kenmore Square’s recent evolution. With a gleaming dining room full of gorgeous, shiny red booths, the dining room hints at the style of a French bistro. The long bar has a luxurious vibe, and the outdoor seating features heat lamps which help to extend the al fresco dining season in Boston. There’s a reason the hip and happening still flock here years after its opening, and Eastern Standard is one of the only upscale Kenmore Square eateries that has been able to draw in diners during baseball season and beyond.
Pretty darn good. Because the restaurant is attached to a hotel, Eastern Standard is set up to cater to kiddie diners from the hotel, making it a more family-friendly Kenmore Square restaurant.
The menu at Eastern Standard mixes traditional European and New England favorites. You’ll notice a heavy French influence, along with some hints of Italian cuisine and some British classics. Favorites include:
- Moules Provencal
- Standard Burger
- Grilled Flatiron Steak (their version of steak frites)
No kid’s menu at this upscale hot spot, but a good number of standard menu items and sides to please the younger crowd. Check out:
- The grilled cheese and other sandwiches
- Mac and cheese
- Chicken noodle soup
- Grilled flatbreads
- Fenway Park
- The Esplanade
- Boston University, Simmons and countless other colleges
- Longwood Medical Area
- Easy entrance/access for strollers
- Changing tables (available in the Commonwealth Hotel)
- Stroller storage
- High chairs
- Valet parking
- T accessible
- T accessible by the Kenmore stop on the Green Line’s B, C and D lines.
- On Red Sox game days, parking is near impossible to find for under $35. Visit on a non-game day and you have a pretty good chance of scoring a metered spot within walking distance.
- Eastern Standard offers valet parking directly in front of its door for a $16 fee.