- Neighborhood: Newton
- Cuisine: American
- Price: Affordable. Appetizers $4-$15, Entrees $11-$19
- Hours: Mon-Thurs: 5pm-1am; Fri-Sun: 12pm-1am
- Reservations: No
- Recommended For Dining With: Infant, Toddlers, Kids
The Local, neighborhood gastropub in West Newton, is all about local pride – for local produce, seafood and beers. More importantly, this family-friendly pub is also about serving classic pub favorites with an upscale twist. Yes, the waitstaff all wear shirts with the local zip code 02465, but this bustling tavern with a long wait for a table suggests diners are coming from all over and not just from 02465.
Good. You will find many young diners at this family-friendly pub. Despite not having a kids menu available when KidNosh visited, the fare and staff are accommodating to families with kids.
The Local serves gastropub fare: pub favorites with an upscale twist. Think Prime Burgers, Fried Pickles & Spicy Mayo and Lobster Mac & Cheese. The menu is divided into Snack Things ($5 sides), Small Things ($4-15 appetizers or small plates), Flatbread Pizza Things (small pizzas from $12-13) and Bigger Things (entrees from $11-19).
- Hand Cut Truffle Parmesan Fries
- Prime Burger Sourced by “The Godfather of Meat” John Dewar & Hand Cut Fries
- TW’s Marinated Steak Tips & Hand Cut Fries
The Local recently added a kid’s menu with the standard kid fare (chicken fingers, mac & cheese, burgers). The regular menu also has lots of kid-friendly choices, including flatbread pizzas and grilled cheese.
- West Newton Cinema
- West Newton Center
- Playgrounds & Park
- Stroller access
- Changing Table
- Kid’s Menu
- Street parking
- Municipal lots
- Commuter Rail (West Newton Station)