Spork Rating: 5
- Neighborhood: South End
- Cuisine: French
- Price: Affordable, leaning towards a Splurge. Dinner appetizers $7-11, entrees $16-29.
- Hours: Dinner nightly 5pm-11pm or later, Sat and Sun brunch 9am-3pm
- Reservations: Yes via phone or OpenTable
- Recommended For Dining With: Infants, toddlers, kids
Gaslight seeks to capture the atmosphere of a classic neighborhood Parisian brasserie, and they do a very good job. From the white tile and antiqued mirrors to the rich French cuisine served at small tables with cozy wooden chairs, just about everything speaks to the Parisian vibe. Luckily, Gaslight, which is part of the Aquitaine Group, is tucked into the garden level of one of the South End’s large, repurposed industrial buildings, giving this kid-friendly French bistro more square footage than you’d find in Paris.
Gaslight has one of the larger outdoor dining areas in the South End, surrounded by greenery and stacked with heat lamps for chillier days. It may seem strange to find yourself right next to the floor to ceiling windows of Boston Sports Club’s cardio area, but Gaslight does a good job with creative landscaping. (Plus it never hurts to provide the infant and toddler crowd with a little extra people watching.)
Fantastic. Unlike its nearby sister restaurant Aquitaine, Gaslight is an excellent kid-friendly restaurant option, welcoming the little ones with high chairs, pictures of the Eiffel Tower paired with packs of crayons and a smiles all around.
You’ll find all of your French favorites here, from Steak Frites ($20) and Rotisserie Chicken ($19) to Croque Monsieur ($16) and Duck Confit ($19). Sauces are rich with flavor and Plats du Jour rotate daily to keep things interesting. Favorites include:
- French Onion Soup (with truffled beef short rib)
- Moules Frites
- Boeuf Bourguignon (Monday’s Plat du Jour)
There’s no formal kid’s menu at Gaslight. If your younger diners aren’t interested in the main menu items, ask your server what they can offer. They’ll always be able to offer a simple pasta or grilled cheese and many of the veggie sides are perfect for kids to share.
- Boston Ballet
- South End Historical District
- Boston Center for the Arts
- Boston Medical Center
- Easy entrance/access for strollers
- Changing tables
- Stroller storage
- High chairs
- T accessible
- T accessible by 2 lines:
- The Silver Line’s SL4 bus, Union Park stop. Walk two blocks to Harrison Ave. and take a right.
- The Orange Line’s Back Bay stop (12 min walk).
- Gaslight has free parking in the adjacent lot. Just let the parking attendant know you’re there for dinner.
- For complete directions, visit Gaslight’s website.