Spork Rating: 5
- Neighborhood: Faneuil Hall/Govt Center
- Cuisine: Pub/Comfort
- Price: Affordable. Appetizers $4-14, entrees $10-24
- Hours: Mon-Fri 11am-2am, Sat brunch 10am-1pm, Sun brunch 9am-2pm
- Reservations: Yes via phone and OpenTable.
- Recommended For Dining With: Infants, toddlers, kids
A stone’s throw from Faneuil Hall, Granary Tavern is an excellent pit stop for lunch or dinner–whether you’re walking the Freedom Trail, hanging out on the Greenway or visiting the aquarium. The 19th century, Bullfinch-designed brick building gives the space its old world charm with exposed brick and wooden beams, but is mixed well with modern lighting and industrial touches including steel, leather and glass accents. The main floor houses a bar and dining area, and the downstairs sports an additional bar and more seating (and can be rented for private parties). Owned by the Glynn Hospitality Group (of The Black Rose and Jose McIntyre’s fame), the Granary Tavern is much more about the food–and families–than most of the group’s other establishments, making it an excellent option for kid-friendly restaurants in Faneuil Hall.
Pretty darn good. While the staff here tends to be young and sometimes misses the nuances and logistical complications of dining out with kids, the Granary Tavern more than makes up for it by offering tons of standard and more creative kid-friendly amenities, including kid’s cups, changing tables and a step stool at the sink in the bathroom and kid’s menus affixed to the back of an Etch A Sketch (genius!).
The menu is all about creative, seasonal and inventive pub fare at this kid-friendly restaurant in Faneuil Hall. You’ll find a decent amount of local seafood, produce and flavors, as well as a local beer selection. The menu offers some creative starters as well as flatbreads, tasty salads, sandwiches and heartier entree. Some of our favorites include:
- Garlic Chips and Dip
- Chicken & Waffle
- Granary Burger
$6 will get junior a meal with a choice of side, a drink and a Hoodsie Cup–a pretty sweet deal for all involved. You’ll find the usual basics like chicken fingers, pasta and grilled cheese, but also some healthy options for sides, including salad, carrots and dip or fresh fruit (as well as fries).
- Faneuil Hall
- New England Aquarium
- Rose Kennedy Greenway
- Freedom Trail
- Easy entrance/access for strollers
- Changing tables
- Stroller storage (ask the host staff)
- High chairs
- T accessible
- Kid’s menu
- T accessible by 4 lines:
- The Green Line’s Government Center stop
- The Orange Line’s State stop
- The Blue Line’s Aquarium stop
- The Red Line’s South Station or Park Street stops (10-15 minute walk)
- Street parking is very tough to come by given the proximity to tourist-heavy Faneuil Hall and the Financial District. You may want to try your luck for a spot on the weekends, but more often than not you’ll have to park in one of the many parking garages in the area.