Spork Rating: 3
- Neighborhood: Faneuil Hall
- Cuisine: American, Comfort
- Price: Affordable. Appetizers $6-14, entrees $13-39.
- Hours: 11am-10pm or later Mon-Fri, 12pm-11pm Sat, 4pm-10pm Sun
- Reservations: Yes. Via phone or UrbanSpoon.
- Recommended For Dining With: Toddlers, kids
Hillstone is part of an upscale chain of restaurants serving American classics with a twist—from steaks and burgers to seafood and salads, as well as a made to order sushi bar. While it used to hold a 5 spork rating, their choice to no longer offer high chairs forced a rating change. A kid-friendly restaurant in Boston, Hillstone also offers a decent selection of wines by the glass and an eclectic (and sometimes perplexing) selection of beers. The dark, cozy interior lined with big leather booths is a nice bit of variety given the touristy surroundings.
Hillstone is an after work hot spot. The bar is generally packed starting around 5pm on Thursdays and Fridays. Don’t let the busy bar discourage you from enjoying dinner—this is a civilized bar crowd.
Good overall. With multiple hosts almost always on hand, there’s always someone to proactively check your stroller or offer a booster at this kid-friendly restaurant.
Hillstone stopped offering their clip-on high chairs in 2015. They still have boosters. With no tables that can accommodate a table side stroller setup, we no longer recommend this as a good spot for infants requiring something more stable than a booster seat.
The menu focuses on burgers and sandwiches, salads that serve as dinner and some steak and seafood specialties–all complimented by a sushi bar. Great picks include:
- Spinach and artichoke dip appetizer
- House made veggie burger (you won’t miss the meat)
- Thai steak and noodle salad
- Hawaiian Rib Eye
Hillstone has a limited kid’s menu, including a simple grilled cheese, smaller versions of the standard menu’s burgers and some other basics. We prefer to let kids assemble their dinner from choices on the main menu. The servers are very accommodating, and will make a trip to the open-style kitchen to chat with the chef if special requests are made. Some great options from the main menu include:
- Sushi rolls
- Chicken Tenders Platter
- Most daily soup selections
- Starters and sides, including veggies, salads, couscous and more.
- Faneuil Hall/Quincy Market
- Freedom Trail
- Downtown Crossing
- Easy entrance/access for strollers
- Changing tables
- Stroller storage
- Booster seats
- T accessible
- T accessible by 4 lines: The Green Line’s Government Center stop; the Orange Line’s State stop; the Blue Line’s State and Government Center stops or the Red Line’s Downtown Crossing or Park Street stops (10-15 minute walk).
- Parking is available at the countless garages in the area, street parking can be found if you have excellent parking karma.
Hillstone validates for up to 3 hours of FREE parking evenings and weekends at the 60 State Street Garage. Special bonus—the garage has direct ramp access to the rear entrance of the restaurant, making it super easy and accessible.