Spork Rating: 5
- Neighborhood: Scituate (South Shore)
- Cuisine: American, Comfort, BBQ
- Price: Cheap Eats to Affordable. Appetizers $5-12, entrees $8-15.
- Hours: Open daily 11am-9pm or later
- Reservations: No
- Recommended For Dining With: Infants, toddlers, kids
What do you get when you cross a casual, kitchsy decor and friendly service with great burgers, BBQ and one of the better suburban beer selections around? Kid-friendly Scituate restaurant Rivershed. Formerly JW’s Burger bar, the new brother/sister team of ownership is keeping the general vibe and menu the same, but has made some tweaks and improvements here and there. You’ll find the decor at this casual spot quirky but welcoming, with walls covered with Jimmy Buffett-esque signage with quirky sayings and old album covers, antler chandeliers, a bar trimmed with buoys, and the kiddie favorite–a large, animated moose head above the bar.
Great. Kids are welcomed with a kid’s menu that doubles as a coloring and activity sheet, plus kiddie cups. The wait staff is friendly and efficient, and happy to put in junior’s order in advance to keep everyone happy. Families flock here in the earlier dining hours–get there before 7pm and the place will be hopping with the under 4ft crowd.
Have a restless little one? Take a walk around the place–there’s plenty to look at for entertainment, from the entry hallway lined with twinkling lights and pictures, the above mentioned moose head, and beyond.
The star of this menu are the burgers, made with hormone and antibiotic-free meat. Avoiding red meat? All burgers can be ordered as veggie, turkey or salmon burgers instead. There’s a good mix of salads, sandwiches and BBQ as well to round out the casual menu. There’s also a rotating selection of craft beers on tap and in bottles, plus some fun cocktails, all to keep mom and dad happy. Favorites include:
- Port & Stilton burger
- Buffalo Clucker (made with Bell & Evans chicken)
- BBQ platters
The kid’s menu has the usual suspects, from grilled cheese, burgers and more. Grilled cheese comes on an inside-out burger bun, and everything comes with a side. Fries are the standard, but they’ll easily let you swap out for an alternative side.
- Scituate Harbor and beaches
- Scituate Lighthouse
- Mill Wharf Cinemas
- Widow’s Walk Golf Course
- Easy entrance/access for strollers
- Changing table
- Stroller storage
- High chairs
- T accessible
- Kid’s menu
- T accessible via the Greenbush commuter rail line. It is a quick walk from the station to the restaurant.
- There’s a parking lot, shared with a dance studio and a pizza spot. Just be sure to avoid the “pizza pickup only” spots.