Spork Rating: 4
- Neighborhood: Cambridge
- Cuisine: Middle Eastern
- Price: Cheap Eats. Breakfast items range from $3-$9. Flatbreads: $8. Bakery items range from $.75-$4.
- Hours: Mon-Fri. 8am-7pm; Sat-Sun 8am-6pm. Reservations: No
- Recommended For Dining With: Toddlers, Kids
Off-the-beaten-path, Sofra is definitely a hidden gem… except foodies are flocking to Ana Sortun’s outpost so it is hardly “hidden” these days. Serving breakfast, lunch and dinner, Sofra offers a truly unique experience – both culinary and experiential. Where else can you get haloumi boccata with braised greens flatbread with authentic Turkish coffee and umm-ali – an Egyptian-style bread pudding? And leave planning your next visit so you can come back for more?
Sofra is small with short copper tables and hard benches. Finding a seat can be tricky, especially during peak hours when diners like to linger. Snag a seat outside in the outdoor seating area during warmer months.
Very good. The staff is welcoming to young diners and many families with young children will come and dine around the short tables at this family-friendly restaurant.
Sofra has one highchair tucked in the bathroom (ask for the bathroom key at the register). As it is a small dining space, we recommend cozying up at the stout tables, which are a good height for kids to stand and eat, or sit on the short stools.
Sofra’s menu is as ambitious and delicious as you would expect from a James Beard Award-winning chef. The Middle Eastern menu includes stuffed flatbreads, savory pies, a mezze bar and seasonal specials. Breakfast items include Greek yogurt parfait, eggs (Mediterranean-inspired of course), and of course amazing pastries and treats.
- Bacon and Haloumi Egg Sandwich with Feta Butter
- Spinach Falafel with Beet Tzatziki & Pickles
- Whipped Feta with Sweet & Hot Peppers
- House-Made Chai
- Persian Donut
Sofra does not have a kid’s menu, but there are many items kids will like such as savory pies (spanakopita), greek yogurt parfait, and the soup of the day.
- Mount Auburn Cemetery
- Harvard Square
- Huron Village
- Limited access for strollers
- Changing table
- High chairs
- MBTA accessible via the 71 bus (818 Mt. Auburn Street) or 73 bus (Belmont St. @ Cushing St)
- Small parking lot plus street parking