Spork Rating: 4
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Price: Affordable. Appetizers $6-12, Tacos $7-$8 each, Entrees $9-$22
- Hours: Mon-Fri 5PM-11PM. Sat Brunch 11AM-3PM, Sunday Brunch 10AM-3PM, Sat and Sun dinner 4PM-11PM.
- Reservations: Yes, via their website and OpenTable
- Recommended for Dining With: Infants, toddlers, kids
Mexican food restaurants can range from cheap and cheesy to high end and healthy. The Painted Burro leans toward the higher end with smaller portions and a creative menu. While the portions may be small, they are generous with the complimentary chips and salsa, and I doubt you will leave hungry. In addition to the food there is a large tequila and drink menu. The interior is decorated with Mexican art and is warm and inviting with a hopping bar on one side and a large dining area on the other. The windows open to the street in warm weather.
Great! Children are welcomed at this Davis Square restaurant and with a kid’s menu, crayons and cups with lids.
The fun, festive and varied menu focuses on traditional Latin flavors and Mexican favorites, while integrating American twists and seasonal ingredients into the large selection of appetizers, tacos, enchiladas, tortas and more. Side dishes also shine, with selections including cheese grits, slaw, beans, and rice. The tacos are delicious, but small, so we recommend adults order two or three per person, or combine with some sides to make a meal. There’s also a wow-worthy tequila menu, featuring more than 100 tequilas. Favorites menu items include:
- “Cholo” corn cob
- Short rib taco
- Street Cart Chicken
The Painted Burro has a small kid’s menu (complete with crayons and activity sheet) that offers a hot dog, quesadillas with different filling options, and tacos. Kid’s items come with beans, corn on the cob and watermelon. Some kids may also want to make a meal out of sides such as beans and rice, and more adventurous little palettes may like to or order a taco or two from the main menu.
- Somerville Theater
- Minuteman Trail
- Bowling at Sacco’s Bowl Haven/Flatbread Pizza
- Tufts University
- High Chairs
- Changing Table
- Kid’s Menu
- MBTA Red line to Davis Square
- Metered street parking is available on the streets in and around Davis Square, as well as metered parking lots around the corner on Grove Street.