Spork Rating: 5
- Neighborhood: Washington Square
- Price: Affordable. Appetizers $6-16, entrees $9-18
- Hours: Mon-Fri: 5pm-2am, Sat-Sun: 12pm-2am
- Reservations: No
- Recommended For Dining With: Infants, toddlers, kids
With a hard-to-beat beer selection and tasty comfort foods with a European twist, The Publick House is a surprisingly kid-friendly restaurant. Though known for the beer, the food is pretty good too, with a mix of European street specialties and American comfort foods. This wait staff knows their beers and are happy to guide you. If you can’t decide what beer to get or want to try something new, ask your server for a recommendation–often paired with your food. This spot is always bustling. Visit most evenings around 5 or 6pm, and there will be as many little ones in the joint as college kids.
Fantastic. A refreshing surprise at such a beer heavy establishment. The entire staff is very friendly and accomodating, and don’t skip a beat when you request a high chair (or two) or ask for the kiddo meals with the appetizers.
Pub fare with a European flare, many featuring a bit of beer in the recipe. There’s always an addition or two to the menu. Favorites include:
- Mac & cheese (many in Boston argue it is the best in Boston)
- Moules frites (mussels and fries) with a choice of sauces
- Burgers with endless topping options
The “secret” kid’s menu is pretty standard–burgers, chicken fingers, etc.–but with fun twists, like avocado and bacon on the burger and just a hint of curry powder in the chicken finger batter. But if your little one likes to be more adventurous, the House Boards (cheese and charcuterie boards meant for sharing) and starters give your little one some interesting alternatives to the old standbys.
- Boston College
- JFK Birthplace
- Easy entrance/access for strollers
- Changing table
- Stroller storage
- High chairs
- T accessible
- T accessible by the Green Line’s C Train, Washington Square stop
- Metered parking is relatively plentiful in/around Washington Square, but be prepared to walk a little further if you’re there on a Thurs-Saturday evening.