Spork Rating: 5
- Neighborhood: Kendall Square and Arlington
- Cuisine: Pizza
- Price: Affordable. Salads $7-8, pizzas $8-11.
- Hours: Open daily at both locations 11:30-10:00 or later.
- Reservations: Yes or no and how (via phone, OpenTable, etc.)
- Recommended For Dining With: Infants, toddlers, kids
Za doesn’t take reservations but they do take “call aheads.” Give them a call when you’re heading out the door and if there is a wait list for a table, they will pop your name on the list right then and there.
Building on their simple restaurant name, Za keeps the menu simple too–salads and pizzas are all they offer on the lunch and dinner menus. Just like their sister restaurant EVOO (located next door to the Kendall Square location), the menu changes based on what ingredients are fresh and seasonal and they source many of their ingredients from local farms. The upscale pizza and salads are tasty and the specials are sure to catch your eye. Bonus–the Kendall Square location has a great outdoor patio for the warmer months.
Fantastic. You’ll often find the manager wandering around offering up crayons and drawing paper (actually the back of the beer and wine list) to the younger crowd or attempting to distract a restless toddler at this kid-friendly Kendall Square restaurant.
The menu at Za is simple, consisting of 3 or 4 specialty pizzas, 3 or 4 salads, and the option to create your own pizza by selecting from lots of tasty toppings. All pizzas are 10” and can be described as a thinner pan-style pizza where the dough has just the right balance of chewy in the middle and crispy on the edges. Salads, specialty pizzas and toppings all change with the seasons to offer fresh, seasonal ingredients. All menu items are complimented nicely by a small but interesting wine list and a funky, rotating selection of beers, primarily from local and small batch breweries. Favorites include:
- Specialty pizzas
- The beet salad
- Toppings: House made sausage, bread and butter jalapenos and caramelized onions
While there’s no kid’s menu, there’s plenty of pizza to go around! Pizzas are all 10” and enough to feed 2-3 kids, depending on age and appetite.
- Museum of Science
- Cambridgeside Galleria
- Easy entrance/access for strollers
- Changing tables
- Stroller storage
- High chairs
- T accessible
- Za is a short walk from the Red Line’s Kenmore Station or the Green Line’s Lechmere Station
- You might get lucky and score a metered spot in this neighborhood most days. If not, there are a number of parking garages in the surrounding blocks.