Spork Rating: 5
- Neighborhood: Coolidge Corner
- Cuisine: Deli
- Price: Affordable. Appetizers $4-12, entrees $8-16.
- Hours: Daily 8am-10pm
- Reservations: Zaftig’s takes limited reservations. They do not take reservations for Sunday brunch (by far their busiest day). They will let you put your name on the list if you call ahead.
- Recommended For Dining With: Infants, toddlers, kids
Zaftig’s is legendary in Boston for its brunch. Arrive at this Saturday and Sunday morning hot spot after 9am, and you’ll be looking at a wait in the neighborhood of 45 minutes to 2 hours. If you are craving an upscale deli-style breakfast with some Jewish classics like complimentary bagel chips and cream cheese woven into the experience, then the wait at this family-friendly restaurant just might be worth it. They serve breakfast all day, every day and their lunch and dinner menus also offer tasty Jewish deli classics.
If you do decide to wait it out on a weekend morning, the wait can be made a little easier to bear by heading to the playground right next door. Just make sure to tell the host that you’ll be at the playground and they will come outside and call your name when your table is ready.
Fantastic. From crayons and paper for every table and a staff well prepared to handle the little guys, you’re in good hands. Kids get crayons and coloring sheets, kids cups and there’s a box of books to borrow from (located under the host stand). The only downside at this family-friendly Brookline deli is the potential wait/under for a table.
Space is tight in this cozy deli. Be prepared to fold up your stroller at the front rather than bring it to your table as it will be a tight fit between all the tables, chairs and people. Zaftig’s has designated stroller parking set aside towards the back of the restaurant, so just ask the host to direct you to the spot.
You’ll find just about every breakfast and Jewish deli favorite on this menu. Favorites include:
- Banana Stuffed French Toast
- Apple and Cheddar Omelette
- The Rachel
The kid’s menu has the usual standards of hot dogs, grilled cheese etc., along with healthier steamed veggies and fruit plates. You can also make a meal of many of the main menu soups, appetizers and sides.
- JFK Birthplace
- Boston University
- Boston College
- Easy entrance/access for strollers
- Stroller storage
- High chairs
- T accessible
- Kid’s menu
- T accessible by the Green Line’s C Line, Coolidge Corner stop.
- Metered parking is available along Harvard Street and surrounding side streets. There’s also a large municipal/metered parking lot behind the stores on the other side of the street. The lot is accessible from Centre Street and there’s a walkway from the lot that puts you right back at Zaftig’s.